When I’m being interviewed by the media about living in Our Little House, the reporter will always ask me what are the advantages of living in a small home.
I thought I would put together a Top 10 Reasons for Living in a Small Home for our community and you all are so great, I bet you will add to it!
1. Smaller Footprint on the environment: There are two people and an always-changing number of dogs, but we still don’t need multiple bedrooms, baths and space.
2. Less Room for Clutter: Our house in the city was packed with stuff. We didn’t even know what we were doing with all of that crap! At Our Little House, we have room for the necessities and only the things we love. This, of course, helps us save money on buying more stuff!
3. Lower Utility Bills: Who likes dumping their money into the utility companies. We would like to be completely off the grid, maybe someday. In the meantime, we pay a 12-month average of approximately $50 a month for utilities.
4. Less Time Cleaning, More Time for us: I can clean my house and studio top to bottom in about 2 hours. What more is there to say about that?
5. Less Maintenance: Doing yard work, landscaping, painting and cleaning gutters in our 20s was fun for maybe the first 5 minutes as homeowners. We spend a lot less time doing all of those things here, giving us more leisure time.