1. Donna O.
    June 11, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

Congratulations! That’s a wonderful accomplishment to lose all that weight, and getting off the meds is phenomenal! Over here we are not vegan or vegetarian, but we do try to eat a lot of vegetarian meals, using meat as a treat rather than a staple, and when we do eat it at home, we try to purchase only human raised, grass fed, or at the very least, organic.

When we dine out or at friends and families, we eat what’s offered or what we have a yen for, but I’m proud of the choices we’ve made as to what we bring into our home.

• Kerri
      June 16, 2014 @ 9:23 am

When I bought meat, Donna, I also tried to buy locally, humane raised meat, but I had to buy it in KC and bring it back, so sometimes we would run out before I could get more. Good for you and your family, everyone needs to find what works best for them. I have learned to inquire if we’re invited to a dinner, if there will be a veggie option. If there isn’t, I take a dish I can eat. :)

2. Sheryl M
    June 10, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Congratulations, Kerri! It’s good news to read about your success that come from healthy lifestyle changes (and the determination to stick to your convictions). In addition I love your healthy recipes. The Lasagna has been a huge hit in our famlly.

• Kerri
      June 16, 2014 @ 9:21 am

I’ll have another pretty good one for you tomorrow, Sheryl! I’m glad you enjoy them and I’m really happy you like the lasagna, that’s a variation of my mother’s recipe. :)

3. Mary
    June 7, 2014 @ 5:50 am

Congratulations on the weight loss. But, more importantly on feeling better and working toward getting off the blood pressure medication. You should be proud of your accomplishment of changing your life for the healthier.

• Kerri
      June 7, 2014 @ 8:34 am

Thanks, Mary!

4. Kathleen Winn
    June 6, 2014 @ 9:44 am

I was once at a dinner party where I met and spoke with a woman who was a nutritionist. This was back when cholesterol was just being revealed as a serious health hazard. We got into a conversation about fad diets and food trends- like what is going on right now with the whole “gluten free” craze. She said that the funny thing is that no matter how many of these fad diets and trendy food issues come up in media, the basics of a healthy diet really have not changed since our grandparents encouraged us to eat our spinach and broccoli. We have known for many generations, that eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, accompanied by a certain amount of whole grains and legumes, while restricting red meat (or eliminating meat altogether as you have done, Kerri) will result in being able to maintain a healthy weight and prevent conditions like diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure. Sometimes the most important element missing from our discussions on food and diet, is simple common sense. As Michael Pollen (author of “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”) put it: “Eat food, mostly greens, not too much.” The truth to a healthy diet is pretty much just that simple, I believe. Great post, Kerri!

• Kerri
      June 6, 2014 @ 3:08 pm

Excellent quote, Kathleen. As those memes say on Facebook, “Organic food is what our grandparents used to call food.” It is very simple.

• Maisa
      July 8, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

Hey Kerri, a friend of mine saherd a link toy your blog which I LOVE! I am a total quote queen and love reading all the notes and pics you have saherd, they are so wonderful Also loving the book suggestions, which I’ll be sure to check out always need to have a list going. Look forward to reading more and dropping by again soon

• Kerri
        July 10, 2014 @ 4:59 am

Great to have you here, Maisa!