A Rough Start to the New Year Makes Goal Setting a Bit Late

We need to organize

When I left my office On December 20 for the hol­i­days, I planned on tak­ing no more than a cou­ple of weeks off, return­ing on January 2, but the best laid plans.

It’s been a rough win­ter at Our Little House so far. We’ve had weather, lots of weather, with snow and ice and bru­tal cold.

Dale and I also picked up a bug while cel­e­brat­ing my 50th birth­day with friends in Kansas City. I remem­ber think­ing at the height of my ill­ness that I hadn’t felt so bad maybe since hav­ing the “Swine Flu” around 1978, when I was 14. I read a day later that it the flu strain that is hit­ting this year.

I’m not sure that’s what we had, we always get a flu shot, but I know I don’t want to have it again.

So, now we’re back to work after Dale missed one day due to ice last week. We’re feel­ing bet­ter and we’re even in the mid­dle of a January thaw.

Time to get down to the busi­ness of mak­ing some goals for the year. I don’t make res­o­lu­tions, but I do try to have some goals, both per­son­ally and busi­ness wise.

It was 7 years ago now that we made a goal to move to Our Little House full time. We made that goal and so many more since.

This year, I have a dual goal for our per­sonal lives and my business.

I want to get orga­nized and stay that way.

What’s a goal you have made for 2014. Would you like to move to a small home this year? Be more sus­tain­able (hint: a very easy way to do this is to use cloth bags at the gro­cery store)? Eat better?

Share with us in the com­ments sec­tion.

12 Responses to “A Rough Start to the New Year Makes Goal Setting a Bit Late”

1. Mary Beth Ratliff says:

I love your Living Large In A Little House. So glad I found it. Wish I had some­one who would help me down size a lot of stuff. Too sen­ti­men­tal its nuts. Would really love to be free of a lot of this stuff like my 30 yr old sons baby bed­ding. Of course him and his wife don't want it :)

2. Sheryl says:

"get orga­nized and stay that way." I say that EVERY year. I think I have to give up on the "stay" part of it. So sorry you've been sick…I've had a rough win­ter, too, with lots of bad colds. Spring can't come soon enough!

3. Brette says:

It sounds like it was a rough start for you. I hope the rest of the year is bet­ter! I want to stay healthy, find more work, but mostly get through what is going to be a year of big changes.

Sorry to hear you were ill! My goal is to get an agent and fin­ish my novel.

5. Carol says:

My big goal this year is to put in a bath­room in my lit­tle house and enclose the deck. Unfortunately, the big goals depend on the con­trac­tor! I wish they had a magic wand to just make it hap­pen NOW! lol

My smaller goals is to empty the garage here in the city so I can sort and pack up the house. Only 18 months until I retire and move to the lit­tle house and so much junk I need to rid myself of. sigh.… I'm start­ing today by get­ting some boxes, I am try­ing to con­vince myself that if I work an hour a day, it won't be as big a project and I'll accom­plish a great deal over the com­ing year. But I just open that door and see the for­est, gotta look for the trees, one tree at a time will do it, I know.

Sometimes if we look at the big pic­ture, it does seem over­whelm­ing, Carol. We have to break it down into smaller pieces. Good luck with all of your goals!

6. We moved to our house in the coun­try three years ago, with a long list of improve­ments we wanted to make. A water heater leak resulted in replac­ing floor­ing on the first floor of the house, so that par­tic­u­lar item got ticked off before we intended. But we still have a long way to go before the house is updated and look­ing the way we'd like. Our pri­mary goals this year have to do with strip­ping old wall­pa­per and paint­ing, espe­cially our upstairs guest bath­room and the break­fast room off our kitchen. They are both ter­ri­bly out­dated and need fresh paint and new light fix­tures. Hopefully in a few months, we can enjoy the fruits of our labor!

Those sound like great goals, Kathleen! I hate wall­pa­per, I'll never have it in a home again. Spending one sum­mer strip­ping in our house in the city was enough. :)

7. Pamela says:

All my goals revolve around prepar­ing to move aboard a sail­boat in 2015. They include devel­op­ing the per­sonal habits that will allow me and my hus­band to trust each other with our lives, fig­ur­ing out how to earn money at sea, and improv­ing my sail­ing skills.

Having one big goal to drive the lit­tle goals helps them stick.

Good luck with your goal set­ting. To the top of the list, I'd add not catch­ing any­thing else in 2014.