It's Fur Trapping Season Again

Sade usu­ally lays on the deck. She's pic­tured here with Chloe and in the back­ground, our late Emma

One of our neigh­bors called yes­ter­day to let us know one of his dogs had got­ten caught in a trap along the shore below his house.

If one of your dogs goes miss­ing, you might look there,” he said.

I wrote about this last win­ter when Dale encoun­tered a trap­per along our shore­line. We live along Corps of Engineers prop­erty and trap­ping for fur is allowed dur­ing the win­ter on these pub­lic lands.

Although he was well within his rights, the trap­per picked up his traps when Dale told him there were homes all along this road, all of which have dogs.

Our neigh­bor said he had been run­ning his dogs along the shore; it was an unusu­ally nice day here, in the 70s.

Dogy (Dee-o-g) ran ahead and began to yipe. He was alright once our neigh­bor freed him, but the hor­ri­ble scream­ing pain the dog was in while trapped is just a reminder of what any ani­mal feels when caught in one of these inhu­mane devices.

As I wrote last year, we didn’t real­ize that trap­ping was allowed on pub­lic lands until my aunt moved here and one of her dogs was miss­ing for two days until they tracked her wails to where her leg was caught.

Prior to that, we came down here boat­ing and often tied up along the shores, allow­ing our minia­ture dachs­hund, Hershey, to explore the rocky shoreline.

When I wrote an arti­cle a few years ago about trap­ping, I found many reports of dogs being killed in traps set on Corps land, as well as in pub­lic parks that allow trapping.

This arti­cle details how a dachshund/chihuahua mix was killed on the first day of trap­ping sea­son in Minnesota last fall. The lit­tle dog was being walked by a 6-year-old girl. I’m sure the hor­ror of that inci­dent will remain with the lit­tle girl for a long time and it’s just for­tu­itous that the girl wasn’t caught in the trap and injured.

We don’t par­tic­i­pate in rifle hunt­ing, although I see the pur­pose of it if peo­ple are going to eat the meat.

However, I just do not see the pur­pose of maim­ing and tor­tur­ing ani­mals for their fur, par­tic­u­larly when it is on lands where dogs, cats and other peo­ple might be walking.

Do you believe fur trap­ping should be legal on pub­lic lands?

20 Responses to “It's Fur Trapping Season Again”

1. Jane Boursaw says:

Just awful all the way around.

2. Around here peo­ple are more likely to shoot things than trap them, but I think there are some trap­pers around. I almost NEVER hike / walk with my dogs off leash, so I keep a close eye, but a lot of my neigh­bors allow their dogs to run.

I'm sur­prised you haven't heard of more of this in the Rockies, Roxanne, but per­haps you aren't out far enough? Good to be cau­tious, though, you just never know.

3. Heather L. says:

There doesn't seem to be any sport at all in trap­ping unless your catch­ing crab. Unless it's being done to keep humans safe from some angry ani­mal, it shouldn't be allowed.

4. Alisa Bowman says:

I think hunt­ing is a bit more humane than trap­ping, if only because the ani­mal doesn't suf­fer long and the main intent is to kill it with just one shot. But trap­ping is just hor­ri­ble. It's even worse that, from read­ing this, they don't seem to check their traps very often. So an ani­mal just sits in pain for days? That's ter­ri­ble, whether it's a pet a fox or what­ever. No fur for me.

5. Good lord — what a hor­ri­ble idea for humans and ani­mals alike.

6. Doreen says:

I think this is one of the most hor­ri­ble things a per­son could do to any ani­mal. I hate it. I have a 3 legged cat because of a trap­per near our home. Makes me sick to think of what the ani­mals go through while in those traps. I think it's sick.

7. Oh this is hor­ri­ble. I can't imag­ine why any­one would think they should do this to any animal.

8. It seems to me that there should at least be signs along the shore­line, warn­ing peo­ple that there could be traps. That is awful. Cannot imag­ine delib­er­ately prac­tic­ing such cru­elty and bru­tal­ity on help­less animals.

Signs would be help­ful for the humans, but still wouldn't tell us where the traps might be hid­ing. We feel it takes away from our own enjoy­ment of the lake as well. We have to be wary of snakes and poi­son ivy in the sum­mer and crip­pling traps in the winter!

9. Olivia says:

I hate the thought of trap­ping, I hate the thought of ani­mals being killed only for their fur, (actu­ally I hate the thought of their being killed for me to eat but I do eat meat, hyp­ocrite that I am. I was veg­e­tar­ian for many years but became very unhealthy on that diet). I can't even bear to read sto­ries of ani­mal cru­elty or suf­fer­ing … yet, when I was young, I "inher­ited" an old, full length per­sian lamb coat of my mother's. I wore it all win­ter long (this was back when wear­ing fur was not polit­i­cally incor­rect) and was NEVER, EVER cold. Here, in the Great White North where tem­per­a­tures remain well below freez­ing for long dark month after long dark month, wear­ing fur is the only thing that makes sense — vis a vis the Inuit, Laplanders, Siberians and oth­ers who inhabit such a cli­mate. I do notice that almost every­one — the PETA types — who objects to it lives in a warm cli­mate. Maybe they should try shiv­er­ing through one of our winters.

So … I shall con­tinue to wear my polit­i­cally cor­rect win­ter coat and either freeze or remain indoors most of the time **sigh**.

I admit that I had a rab­bit fur coat back in the 70s when it was fash­ion­able. My much older sis­ter had one and I finally got one for Christmas. I later donated it to an ani­mal orga­ni­za­tion that was col­lect­ing fur coats. I think we all have our level of hypocricy. For exam­ple, if it is not ok to wear fur, why is it ok to wear leather? Factory farmed ani­mals (of which we try not to buy) are treated ter­ri­bly inhu­mane too. So there is all kinds of lev­els of tor­ture, I guess.

• Freth says:

Synthetic furs look nice, but aren't all that warm. Additionally the syn­thetic fibers tend to break off in extreme cold, while the nat­ural ani­mal hair fibers don't. As you say, none of the PETA types lives in an extreme cold cli­mate. And they fig­ure they are good with gor­tex, because down jack­ets are made from killing and pluck­ing ducks and geese.

There are "eth­i­cally" col­lected down, which is col­lected from molt­ing ducks in the nest, Freth. Most peo­ple I know who has a prob­lem with fur, who wears or uses down as insu­la­tion, makes sure it comes from a nest col­lect­ing company.