1. MyKidsEatSquid
    November 20, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

I’m still trying to make sense of the GMO labeling issue. Have you seen this report from NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/26/163700238/as-california-vote-looms-scientists-say-no-to-genetically-modified-food-labels

I think it’s an issue that we need to keep talking about and researching.

• Kerri
      November 23, 2012 @ 7:52 am

That right there is the issue. a). GMOs have not had significant studies done on their safety. That is why all of the countries in the European Union have banned them. b). It is now known that GMOs, which were developed to resists certain pests are now making those pests immune from them. That is the reason they are actually requiring *more* pesticide, and more pesticide is never a good thing.

• Kris @ Attainable Sustainable
        December 5, 2012 @ 2:13 am

And it’s not just more pesticides. Plants modified to be “Roundup Ready” encourage heavy use of Monsanto’s Roundup weed killer, thus creating resistant “superweeds.” It’s a mess we’re creating, really.

• Kerri
          December 5, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

I agree, Kris

2. Alexandra
    November 15, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

I’m back to share a letter my son in Los Angeles received today, which I thought would be of interest:

“Thank you so much for signing this petition.

I have to admit I have learned a great deal since starting it.

ALL VOTES ON PROP 37 WILL BE COUNTED, not because of our petition, but because it is required by law that all votes be counted. The counties have until December 7 to report the vote and Debra Bowen, Secretary of State, has until December 14 to certify the vote.

The final results WILL BE PUBLISHED, so every vote cast on Prop 37 will be honored.

Because of the importance of this issue nationally, I am researching how to have an effective petition at a national level.

Thank you, once again, for taking a stand on this important issue.”

• Kerri
      November 16, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Thanks for posting, Alexandra!

3. Alexandra
    November 15, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

Every week I seem to read a new story about the dangers of pesticides. Now that GMO crops, Roundup Ready crops, are not proving as resistant as previously thought, farmers are obliged to use MORE pesticides, not less. Those pesticides get in our aquifers. I was very disappointed that Prop 37 did not pass, but it is important to remember that those in favor were almost as numerous as those against. The reason people voted against it was the advertising, which was full of falsehoods. There should be a law against that type of thing. Prop 37 did not OUTLAW GMOs, it only required labels. I agree with you that we all need to consider why the chemical industry poured millions into the campaign to defeat the labeling crusade and why Big Chem doesn’t want us to know what we are eating. Thanks for writing about this topic. It is so important! Eat organic is my mantra. I hope the movement will try again, nationwide.

• Kerri
      November 16, 2012 @ 6:34 am

I guess the only thing to do at the moment is to assume that anything not labeled organic contains GMOs.

4. Brette Sember
    November 15, 2012 @ 8:59 am

I still can’t believe people would say they don’t want to know what is in their food. And the amount of money that was spent to campaign against this cannot possibly equal what it would cost to do the labeling. The Dow connection is scary.

• Kerri
      November 15, 2012 @ 10:27 am

I agree, they’re as scary as Monsanto.

5. Rick
    November 13, 2012 @ 7:30 am

I was a bit let down by the results. But I guess the end result is to take action myself, where possible. If it is in a grocery store, is produced by a national brand, and contains corn and/or soy, there is a very good chance it contains GMO and I will avoid it. I will do what I can to stick to the outer walls of the store where produce, meat, and dairy product reside. As the old saying goes, I will vote with my money.

• Kerri